Creaton

Loading Map....

Address
Church of St.Michael & All Angels
Violet Lane. Creaton
Northants

NN6 8NA
England


Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Creaton.
Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Creaton.

Creaton has been referred to as “Great Creaton” & also “Creaton Magna”.

Benefice:- Part of the Uplands Group of Parishes.

P.D.G.C.B.R. Guilsborough Branch.
Tower Captain for Creaton :- Mike. Tel. 01604-505583.

Dove’s Guide

6 Bells.
  • Treble, 1949. John Taylor & Co. (Wt. 2-3-3).
  • 2nd.        1915. James Barwell & Co.
  • 3rd.        1949. John Taylor & Co.  (Wt. 3-3-8).
  • 4th.        1635. Hugh II Watts.
  • 5th.        1636. Hugh II Watts.
  • Tenor.  1635. Hugh II Watts.               (7½ cwt.)
Ground floor rope layout plan.

…..west wall & window of tower…..

5th.              Tenor.

⇑ belfry ladder             Treble

4th.      rope spider                

3rd.                2nd.

………………↓gate to nave↓……………….
3 steps up  from nave to ringing area.

Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down  control cable located on north wall of tower.

Accessibility to Church.
5 steps from pavement up to & through illuminated Lych gate, uphill approach path to north door, then one step down into nave.

Observations.
A light ring of 6.

Practice Night is on most Wednesdays, 8.00pm. to 9.00pm.

Become a bell ringer and learn traditional skills.

Ringing for Service at Creaton :-
3rd. Sunday : 9.00am. to 9.30am.
1st. & 4th. Sunday : 9.00am. to 9.30am. subject to
 available ringers.

Benefice Service Ringing at other Uplands Group of Churches in rotation :
2nd. (& 5th.) Sunday : 9.30am. to 10.00am.

************************************************************

The Earlier (Treble) Bells.
  • In 1878, records show 4 bells, all cast in 1635/6 by Hugh II Watts.
  • 1915 saw the addition of a new front treble bell, now making a ring of 5.
  • In 1949, another treble was added again in front of the “other trebles” making the final ring up to 6 bells.
  • The original Hugh II Watts 1635 treble was replaced also in 1949, this replacement represents the current 3rd. bell.

Village amenities include :-
Public house.

Upcoming Events

  • No events in this location
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    (Spamcheck Enabled)