Hillmorton, Rugby. Warks. (C.D.G.)

Loading Map....

Address
Church of St. John The Baptist
The Locks,(Off Brindley Rd,) Hillmorton
Rugby. Warwickshire

CV21 4PP
England


 

  • Hillmorton, over the decades, has become quite a large expanding “village” with housing now reaching the boundaries of neighbouring Rugby town.
  • To the north-east of the Church, was once the home & site of Rugby Radio Station, constructed during the  mid 1920’s.  Most visually notable were the twelve, 820 feet high aerial support masts, all now demolished, although the transmitter building will be retained & incorporated within a future new building development.
    • Tower Contact, Rita : 01788 552826.
Coventry Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.
Rugby Deanery.
6 Bells.                                      Hillmorton.
  • Treble.1983. John Taylor & Co.         (5-2-20).
  • 2nd.       1731. Thomas Russell.             (5-2-15).
  • 3rd.        1731. Thomas Russell.             (5-3-19).
  • 4th.        1731. Thomas Russell.             (6-3-26).
  • 5th.        1731. Thomas Russell.             (9-1-7).
  • Tenor. 1731. Thomas Russell. (Wt.12-0-20).
  • No Clock.
Upper floor rope layout plan.

…………..west wall of tower…………..
⇐ south window                                              

         4th.
3rd.                                                
                                                    5th.

rope spider

2nd.                                                 
                                                  Tenor
Treble

                 ⇑ EXIT⇑  trapdoor by 2nd. bell.

                    ⇐ Ladder to belfry.

**************************************************
Observations.

A good ring of six bells, rope positions marked on walls. Well illuminated ringing chamber with emergency lighting device.

Locating the Church.
From Brindley Rd. Hillmorton, >> continue to follow road, under railway bridge  ( ∩ 11ft.6ins. arch ) >> Approx. 100 metres to “farmyard ” car park. Church is set back from road on left.

Accessibility to Church.
Sloping uphill path leads from farmyard car parking area to south porch of the Church.

Accessibility to the upper floor bell ringing area.

Accessible via the nave,  to tower base. A short ladder, followed immediately at 90°  by wooden steps, leads up, through trapdoor into ringing area.

  • Benefice : Hillmorton.
  • Sunday Services with bell ringing when possible.
  • Practice Night :  2nd. and 4th. Wednesday, 7.30pm. to 9.00pm.
  • New ringers are always welcome.
  • Toilet Facilities.
*********************************************

“Off-road” Church car parking area in front of farm buildings.
Follow road beyond tunnel bridge, car parking approx. 100 metres on left.

“On-road” car parking in Brindley Rd.
Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses. A path routes through a  short tunnel under the railway line, directly to the south porch of the Church.

The Earlier Bells.
According to records, there were 4 bells at Hillmorton in 1552.

*********************************************

Upcoming Events

  • No events in this location
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    (Spamcheck Enabled)