Shawell (L.D.G.)

Loading Map....

Address
All Saints' Church
Church Lane. Shawell
Leics.

LE17 6AL
England


Church of All Saints, Shawell. Leics.
Church of All Saints, Shawell. Leics.

Leicestershire county border village.

Shawell forms part of the Avon Swift Group of Churches.

This tower does not contain a clock.

December 2016 Update.
Shawell is accessible from the north & south of the village, the back road to Catthorpe is open, along with a new road to Swinford.

Leicester Diocesan Guild, Market Harborough District.
Dove’s Guide.

Tower Captain for Shawell :-  Andy. 07778 – 33 98 63.
Tower Contact for Shawell :-  Daphne. 07762 – 97 44 97.

6 Bells.

Treble. 1990. Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd. (3-0-21).
2nd.       1656. Bryan II Eldridge, at Coventry.  (3-1-27).
3rd.        1632. Hugh II Watts.                                      (3-3-21).
4th.      c1560. Thomas II Newcombe.                    (5-0-27).
5th.      c1480. John Danyell succ’r “Brede”.      (5-3-21).
Tenor.   1770. Joseph Eayre of St. Neots.  (Wt. 8-2-22).

 Ground floor rope layout plan.
………….west wall of tower………….
3rd.

4th……………………………5th.
rope spider
2nd………………………..Tenor.

Treble.
↓open & level access to nave↓

FONT

⇐ EXIT. Door & porch……………….

**********************************************

Accessibility to Church.
Level gravel path from “car park area” to south porch, then a shallow step up to door. Level entry into nave from doorway.

Observations.
A nice, light  & smooth running 6 , with an interesting architectural ropeguide framework.

Practice night is on a Tuesday, from 7.45 pm. to 9.00 pm. 

Sunday service ringing.

**********************************************

Access to the Church is via Church Lane.
From corner of Main St. & Bullaces Lane, follow track on right, up the incline, curving further right to the “car parking area”.

Very limited off road car parking adjacent to Church.
Please note, that there are other access points to dwellings & fields close to the “parking” area.

The Earlier Bells.

Records show that there were 5 bells in 1876, represented by the modern day 2nd. to Tenor bells.
The Treble bell (present 2nd.)was cast in 1656  at a temporary foundry in Coventry, by Bryan II Eldridge who also cast the early tenor bell at Lilbourne in 1658 & the early 2nd. bell at Crick in 1656.

Village amenities include :-
Public house.

Upcoming Events

1 2 3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(Spamcheck Enabled)