Stanford on Avon (L.D.G.)

Loading Map....

St. Nicholas' Church
Kilworth Road, Stanford on Avon


Stanford on Avon
Church of St. Nicholas, Stanford on Avon. Ref. A.H.

Northamptonshire county border village. Boundary, river Avon with Leicestershire.

The old “Stanford Hall” or manor house once stood on the Northamptonshire side of the river Avon , opposite & to the south-west of the Church, whilst the new Stanford Hall was built on the Leicestershire side, much further back from the road & river.

Stanford on Avon forms part of the Avon Swift Group of Churches.

Please note:
Swinford Road, Stanford, can be subject to flooding after periods of very heavy rainfall. Also, flooding at  (Stanford Rd.)  Clay Coton village, may necessitate travel diversions via Elkington.

Environment Agency,   River Avon flood level information.

Dove’s Guide

Leicester Diocesan Guild, Market Harborough District.

Tower Contact for Stanford on Avon :-
Andy & Daphne, Tel. 07778-339863.

Anticlockwise ring of 5 Bells.
  • Treble. 1928. Gillett & Johnston.    (5-1-22).
  • 2nd.        1928. Gillett & Johnston.    (7-0-0).
  • 3rd.        1928. Gillett & Johnston.    (7-1-12).
  • 4th.        1640. Hugh II Watts.              (9-0-15).
  • Tenor.  1631. Hugh II Watts. (Wt. 11-3-12).
  • No Clock.
  • Rope Guides.

Ground Floor anti-clockwise rope layout plan

 …West wall & window of tower…

3rd          2nd


4th                                   Treble


Tenor                                            .

…↓…Unglazed nave screen & door…↓…

Level access from nave


Accessibility to Church.

Fairly level gravel path from Kilworth road gate to south porch.


The No.2 & 3 bell ropes are quite close set to the west wall of tower.

  • Currently, no practice night.
  • Bellringing : 1st. Sunday of each month, 9:00am. to 9:30am.

Limited “on-road” car parking (Church-side grass verge, on South Kilworth Rd.)
Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.
On Stanford  Hall weekend event days, surrounding roads can become congested at times.

Earlier Bell History.

Records of 1700 & 1878 both show 5 bells, 3 of which, listed below, being replaced in 1928.

  •  Treble, 1631.   Hugh II Watts.
  •  2nd.       1624.   Hugh II Watts.
  •  3rd.        1605. “Newcombe family”.

Village amenities include :-
Stately home & parkland.


Road report: 2017

 Leicestershire – Northamptonshire borders.


  • M1, M6 & A14 interchange junction completed. Local access no longer  possible.


  • A new stretch of roadway is open from A5 trunk road through to Swinford.

Upcoming Events

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(Spamcheck Enabled)