Thornby

Loading Map....

Address
Church of St.Helen
Church Lane. Thornby
Northants

NN6 8SN
England


Church of St.
Church of St. Helen, Thornby.

Thornby  village is bi-sected by the A5199  (formerly A50)  Leicester to Northampton main road.

 Incorporated within the south-western corner of Thornby  parish is the deserted mediaeval hamlet of Chilcote.

The Church was previously dedicated to St. Matthew.
Ref:- The Church Bells of Northamptonshire, by T.North, 1878.

Benefice:- Part of The Uplands Group of Churches.

P.D.G.C.B.R. Guilsborough Branch.

Dove’s Guide

5 Bells.
  • Treble. 1714. Henry III Bagley.  (3-0-17).
  • 2nd.        1714. Henry III Bagley.  (3-1-3).
  • 3rd.         1714. Henry III Bagley.  (3-3-2).
  • 4th.         1929. John Taylor & Co. (5-3-16).
  • Tenor.  1844. John Taylor & Son. (Wt.6-2-25).
  • Rope Guides.
  • Clock.
Ground floor rope layout plan.

…………..west wall of tower…………..

3rd.……….4th.
…………………..belfry ladder ⇑
………………………….Tenor
2nd.                           
……………Treble

……↓un-glazed screen & door↓……
…level access to ringing area from nave…

<<< EXIT <<< south door <<<
Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located at south-western corner of tower.

*******************************************************

  • Accessibility to Church.

Level gravel approach path from end of Church lane to south porch. Level access from porch into nave.

  • Limited “on-road” car parking in Church lane.

Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.

  • The Earlier Bells.

As at 1714, all 5 bells were cast by Henry III Bagley, the Tenor being replaced in 1844 & the 4th. in 1929.

  • Village amenities include :-

Public house.

Upcoming Events

  • No events in this location
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    (Spamcheck Enabled)