Yelvertoft.

Loading Map....

Address
All Saints' Church
High Street, Yelvertoft
Northants

NN6 6LY
England


 

Church of All Saints, Yelvertoft.
Church of All Saints, Yelvertoft.

A linear village, with its High Street following the route of a very early “Portway” track known as “Salters Way”.(E.W.Timmins).

The Wildlife Trusts,
Northamptonshire Churchyard Conservation Award Scheme.
“Gold Award”.

United Benefice:- Crick, Yelvertoft with Clay Coton & Lilbourne.

P.D.G.C.B.R. Guilsborough Branch.

Tower captain for Yelvertoft :-
David. Tel. 01788-822598.

Web links.
Yelvertoft History Group.
A Church Near You.
Yelvertoft Church
Dove’s Guide

6 Bells.
  • Treble. 1989. Eijsbouts of Holland. (5-0-10).
  • 2nd.        1635. Hugh II Watts.  (5½ cwt.)
  • 3rd.         1635. Hugh II Watts.     (6 cwt.)
  • 4th.         1635. Hugh II Watts.     (7 cwt.)
  • 5th.         1635. Hugh II Watts. (9¼ cwt.)
  • Tenor.  1635. Hugh II Watts of Leicester. ( Wt.12 cwt.)

The ringing area is accessed via an open tread stairway from ground floor level.

.Upper floor, rope & utilities layout plan.

…west wall & window of tower…  

Tenor….Treble

5th.………………….….2nd.

                                                              rope spider             ⇓ trapdoor & stairway
⇓ belfry ladder                                                       ⇓  EXIT

4th…..…..3rd.                          

……….↓gallery rail & nave↓……….

<<< EXIT < south door  <<<     >>>  north door > EXIT >>>

******************************************************

Notice for visiting bell ringers:
To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on north wall of tower, at top of ringing gallery stairway.

Accessibility to Church.
  • Both north & south doorways into the Church are on the level.
  •  Level access to north door from the car park route.
  •  If walking from the village, route includes an uphill footpath with railings to the Churchyard gates.
This is a well established regular practice, every Friday from 7:30pm. to 9:00pm.
EXCEPT FOR:-
The 4th. Friday of each month,  practice is transferred to St. Margaret’s Church, Crick.
Toilet Facilities.

******************************************************

Very limited car parking by north entrance gate.
Please be aware of driveways to nearby houses.
On road car parking  in High Street & surrounding roads.
Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses.

The Bells.
  • Originally, 5 bells were cast by Hugh II Watts of Leicester in 1635.
  • The bellfounder was operating from 1614/5 to 1642 with at least 316 castings to his credit.
  • In 1989 a new treble bell was added, cast by Eijsbouts of Holland.

Ringing now takes place at an upper floor level, the floor being built around the original ground floor wooden access ladder to the clock room & bells.

 Improvements.
  • The ground floor area was enhanced with the addition of toilet facilities & a choir vestry.
  • A further area, adjacent to the south aisle, is now an enclosed meeting room with kitchen preparation facilities.
  • Restoration works to the masonry of the tower were finally completed in 2013.
Village amenities.
  • Butchers shop.
  • Canalside marina.
  • Congregational Church.
  • Post office.
  • Public house.
  • Roman Catholic Church.
  • Village hall.

******************************************************

Upcoming Events

1 2 3 4

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(Spamcheck Enabled)